Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Remedial Discipleship - RD099

I find myself in an embarrassing situation. Although I've been a Christian for at least twenty-six years, I am growing more and more disturbed with things in my life. Not that they aren't things I could brush under the rug as it were, if that's what I chose to do. Lots of sins, flaws and weaknesses can be readily hidden if that's what you're inclined to do. For better or for worse, I am not so inclined. I don't want them covered over - I want them destroyed. As I think on the holiness of God, and the sacrifice paid for my life, the desire for personal holiness becomes ever stronger - and ever more elusive. I find myself crying out with Paul's own words, "O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?". My arrogance, my hatred, my laziness, all these and more must be destroyed - I hold that there is no other option.

I know that God is able to free me, and I am trusting Him to do so. But I have to ask the question, why does it seem to be taking so long? Why are victories so few, and why do the failures multiply? Surely after more than two decades, I should be making greater strides, growing stronger in faith and reflecting peace, joy and love on all those around me. To some extent I believe these things are happening, but why are the results so insipid?

I think part of the answer lies in the very nature of modern western Christianity. We are truly a lazy society - spoiled and ungrateful. We resist anything that involves a real commitment, and it shows in our transportation, homes, diets, relationships - in every facet of our lives, including our faith. We want what we want - no more, and no less - and we want it now, and we want it cheap. "You want a free pass to heaven, as well as financial prosperity? Say this prayer, and pay your tithe, and you're good to go! Yes, there are some token items we'd like to see you forego as an earnest of your changed heart, but even those we don't need to get too worked up about - I'm sure it's your bad environment that's really at fault.". Cheap. Easy. Convenient.

That's what it appears to mean when someone says they're a Christian. What's missing is something we don't even comprehend. It's called Discipleship. It's a word that implies an apprenticeship - following the Master as he works his will, learning the craft, developing the muscles, the stance, an eye for all the little details that mean the difference between success and failure. As the apprenticeship advances, we begin to talk like the Master, to see the World as He does, to walk more like Him, even to smell more like Him. it isn't quick. It isn't easy. And you DON'T get to pick and choose what you want to learn, or how you're going to learn it. But if you will undertake it, if you submit to the hand of this master craftsman, you stand a chance of actually becoming like him - not just a mock-up of Him, but the real deal. And you get to share in the greatest work of all.

The embarrassing part of all this comes with the fact that I've been involved in developing a discipleship program at my church. I've looked at different materials, read some things, listened to people talk about it, all the things you're supposed to do. And after doing that, and spending a fair amount of time thinking about it, I've come to a conclusion - I have no idea what discipleship is.

I mean, I think I understand what it supposed to be, but the unfortunate fact is that, although I've been a Christian for twenty-six years, I've never been a disciple.

Well now, what does one do with a situation like that? The only thing I know of, is to start NOW. I want to be a disciple. I don't care what it looks like from the outside. I want my very mature to be changed.

So here's what I propose. I will follow the Master. I will start with the very first of His recorded words, and I will practice them, meditate on them, pray about them. I've heard His words many times - many of them I know by heart. But never, until now, have I attempted to act the part of apprentice. Half-hearted occasional attempts are the best I've ever done. Now I propose to do the real deal.

I invite anyone to follow along in this course in Remedial Discipleship. I can't promise financial freedom, or any easy buttons along the way, but I hope, at the end, we will know what discipleship really is. Joy in the journey, friend.